Table of Contents
Create Dashboards That Yield InsightsThe real estate on a dashboard is highly precious. You’ve limited space and a lot of KPIs to show. This guide will take you through the process of designing awesome dashboards.
What’s in the Whitepaper?
- Learn to define the value proposition of your Dashboard.
- How to ensure that your Dashboard gives insights.
- How to pair the right visualization to your data.
- A step-by-step process of creating insights producing dashboards.
Dashboards — Helping ISVs Create a Competitive Advantage in a Data-Driven AgeToday’s businesses compete on data. Whether it is increasing manufacturing yields, boosting marketing ROI, or improving customer satisfaction, businesses want to improve their bottom line using data-driven insights. While performing their tasks in CRM, ERP, and other business applications, they are looking for better visibility, better reporting, and quicker access to performance metrics. This white paper highlights how by adding powerful information dashboards, Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) are creating a competitive advantage for themselves by empowering businesses and individuals to garner insights from their own data and offering a more evolved experience. This in turn helps them boost their average selling price and open up new opportunities for upselling and cross-selling. And all of this without disrupting their agile release cycles. Download the full deep dive whitepaper on Dashboards!
Choosing the Right Charting Component for Your ProductToday, your end users need real-time access to relevant information pertaining to their business, even when they are on the move. Your products need to be able to process and visualize heaps of data in form of reports or dashboards, which could be accessed on a variety of devices, be it computers, tablets or smartphones.
What’s in this White Paper?This white paper highlights the factors you should evaluate when choosing a charting component for your software product:
- What devices, browsers, and platforms do your product need to support?
- How easy is it to implement the component or library?
- What chart types will you need to show the correct representation of data?
- What reporting capabilities do you need to provide your users to empower their business decisions?
- What happens when you get stuck with a technical query during implementation? What support options does the vendor offer?
Towards Effective Decision-Making Through Data Visualization: Six World-Class Enterprises Show the WayWe live in an age where it is increasingly becoming important for businesses to make sense of the humongous mound of data that lies at their doorstep. Every click of the mouse, every swipe, every tweet, and every check-in is further adding to this data mound. How can businesses analyze all this data and use it for effective decision-making? This white paper highlights six such enterprises that have effectively used data visualization to solve their day-to-day business challenges:
- How does Walmart use data visualization to convert real-time social conversations into inventory?
- How does Netflix plan to improve its operational visibility with dynamic data visualization?
- How does P&G uses data visualization to uncover new opportunities for growth?
- How does MailChimp uses big data and visualization to help users better segment and target their subscribers?
- How does Twitter uses data visualization to track its complex workflows?
- How does Airbnb uses conditional probability models and data visualization to make its search algorithm more location-relevant?
The Ultimate Guide to Real-Time Data VisualizationBusinesses today face the problem of being rich in data, but poor in information. In a gold rush to derive value from big data, real-time analytics has emerged as a prominent tactic for businesses to gain an edge over the competition. This white paper defines the most important aspects of real-time analytics, and how it can be leveraged for your business.
What’s in this White Paper?
- The emergence of real-time analytics: Trace the journey of business intelligence from relational databases to distributed file systems and the prominence of big data.
- Real-world applications of real-time analytics: Get inspired by businesses of all sizes and types who use real-time analytics today.
- How real-time analytics works: Find out the two types of real-time analytics, and understand the various steps streaming data goes through before it’s finally visualized in a real-time dashboard.
- Must-have features for a real-time charting component: Learn about the 4 crucial features that can make all the difference between a charting component that can handle real-time data and one that poses to.
Designed to Succeed: How Design Plays a Strategic Role in Today’s Software Products?“Good design is good business”— we heard this way back in the 1950s from Thomas Watson of IBM fame. Cut to the 21st century and good design seems to have become more critical than ever. Higher competition coupled with evolving needs of the customer has made design a strategic differentiator for software products. Design is no more an afterthought while building a product but is increasingly being used to solve key business challenges:
- How does Mint use Emotional Design to overcome issues of mistrust and fear?
- How does Google Maps for iOS blend utility, usability, and desirability to defeat Apple in its own game?
- How does Flipboard take inspiration from legacy products and create something more relevant?
- How does Airbnb’s leap of faith into design set its cash registers ringing?
- How does MailChimp facilitate more collaboration and engagement in its app?
- How does Wufoo woo its customers using the principles of dating and marriage?
Principles of Data Visualization – What We See in a VisualWe interact with charts day-in and day-out as we read the news, attend meetings, review sales numbers, forecast projections, and set targets. However, we rarely stop to think about what makes these sometimes-drool-worthy pieces of information so pervasive in media and business. This white paper takes you on a journey to discover the underlying principles behind data visualization. What’s in this white paper?
- Two Goals in Data Visualization Every visualization has a goal. Find out what are the two most common goals for visualizations, and next time you plot a chart, start with the right goal in mind.
- Eyesight and Memory Working In Parallel Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) is a term commonly used in Big Data. Learn how our eyesight and memory use the same mechanism to process visual information.
- Preattentive Attributes Used by Our Working Memory No discussion of visualization would be complete without mentioning its basic building blocks – preattentive attributes. Find out what’s it about a visual that catches our attention immediately.
- Forming Analytical Patterns Out of Preattentive Attributes Our vision is inherently pattern-seeking. Get a comprehensive list of the patterns we identify when analyzing a visual.
- Using the Gestalt Principles to Bring Out Patterns in Visualizations Ever wanted to emphasize certain aspects of a visual? The Gestalt Principles can bring out your point of view with subtlety or boldness.
- An Example from Recorded Future Finally, apply the various principles of data visualization discussed in this white paper to a real-world example from Recorded Future.
Ten Emerging Trends in Dashboard DesignData purists may shun them. But users are just loving them. Dashboards have evolved a lot since their inception. In its new avatar, the dashboard is more user-friendly and definitely more appealing than its grim predecessor. This thought paper highlights 10 emerging trends in dashboard design. It also showcases some of the industry’s best digital products that have incorporated these design trends.
- How are dashboard designs being adapted to provide a unified experience across multiple devices and browsers?
- Which design elements are making a comeback in today’s dashboard interfaces?
- How are dashboards providing users an in-depth understanding of their data without overwhelming them?
Ten Tips to Increase the Usability of Your DashboardsIn an age where data is the new oil for growth, the key to solving business problems lies in making data work for us—to present it in a manner that accords meaning, extract insights, and help make correct decisions every single time. This white paper discusses 10 practical tips that are guaranteed to increase the usability of reports and dashboards. We look at how to:
- Make your chart captions more comprehensive
- Deal with multiple levels of data
- Differentiate projected values from actual values